An online application for admission and financial aid for the Master of Engineering program must be completed through the Cornell University Graduate School. The Graduate School provides an extensive application and admissions web page with general application guidelines and requirements for each graduate field where you will find the requirements of the specific field to which you are applying. Applications can be downloaded or completed online.
Fall semester: May 31
Spring semester: November 15 (Cornell Undergraduate Early Admits Only)
Statement of purpose
- A one or two page statement stating your reasons for undertaking graduate work, as well as an explanation of your academic interests, including their relation to your undergraduate study and professional goals.
Unofficial transcripts from each college or university previously attended.
- Please note that there are only up to three fields for listing schools attended. If you attended more than three colleges or universities, you must upload those transcripts in the writing sample portion of the application.
- If you have appropriate supplemental documents such as an undergraduate research paper, resume, awards, etc., upload them in the writing sample portion of the application.
Two letters of recommendation
- Additional ones are allowed.
- Recommenders may submit their letters online. Once an application is submitted, recommenders receive an automated email soliciting their letter (you will be prompted to provide their contact information before you submit your application).
- Recommenders may also submit hard copies to the Systems Engineering office.
Official GRE general test scores
- Please make sure to indicate the University code (2098) when submitting your scores. We cannot finalize admission offers to any applicant unless we have received your official scores.
Official TOEFL scores
- TOEFL is required from international applicants. We require an overall minimum scores of 105. This is addition to the minimum sub-scores for each element of the TOEFL iBT as outlined by the Graduate School: Writing – 20 , Listening – 15, Reading – 20, Speaking – 22
- For further information on this requirement as well as exemptions, please visit the Graduate School website.
Application for financial support
- Application for merit-based aid – fellowships, assistantships, and tuition awards – is part of the application for admission.
Minimum of baccalaureate degree
- Preferably in engineering, mathematics, or science, conferred by an accredited college or university. For students with foreign credentials, the equivalent from a college or university of recognized standing.
- The Systems Engineering program expects at least differential calculus, integral calculus, linear algebra and differential equations as math undergrad requirements. For Cornell undergrads MATH 1910, 1920, 2930 or 2940, and a mathematics course chosen by the major would be required.
Probability and statistics
- An undergraduate course in Probability and statistics is required to matriculate into the System Engineering program.
- If not already completed at the time of admission, this requirement may be satisfied by completing ENGRD 2700 or CEE 3040.
- Students may complete a similar course at another university upon approval of the Curriculum Committee. You will be required to submit a transcript as verification that this course has been completed before the end of your first semester in the program.
- Additional Guidelines Regarding the Probability and/or Statistics Requirement for Incoming Students
Application fee of $105
- Cornell University expects all applicants to complete their application materials without the use of paid agents, credentials services, or other paid professional assistance. The use of such services violates University policy, and may lead to the rejection of application materials, the revocation of an admissions offer, cancellation of admission, or involuntary withdrawal from the University.
- In cases of extreme financial need, please contact the Graduate Field Assistant and request for a fee waiver.
If you are a Cornell undergraduate who wants to pursue an M.Eng., we offer an early admission option that allows you to get a head start on your graduate work. You may apply during your last semester of undergraduate work if have no more than 8 credits remaining to complete your bachelor’s degree.
Our program accepts early admits students from the fall and spring semester.
Minimum requirements to be eligible for early admission to the M.Eng. program are:
- Be in your last semester as a Cornell undergraduate
- Have 1 to 8 credits left to complete your undergraduate degree
- Have a GPA of at least 2.7., but please note that most admitted applicants have a substantially higher GPA.
To be considered, please:
- File a complete application for admission to the M.Eng. degree program online through the Graduate School.
- Fill out an Early Admission Petition Form and submit it to the Graduate Field Assistant.