Distance Learning Requirements
The prospective student for this distance learning degree program is a recent college graduate or working professional who satisfies the admission criteria for the Cornell Graduate School in addition to the criteria for the M.Eng. in Systems Engineering. For the working professional, this program will allow you to earn an advanced degree while not interrupting your career.
Contact your company to find out if there is a sponsorship program. If there isn't one, contact us so we can help your company set one up.
An online application for admission and financial aid for the Master of Engineering program must be completed through the Cornell University Graduate School.
The Graduate School provides an extensive application and admissions Web page with general application guidelines and requirements for each graduate field where you will find the requirements of the specific field to which you are applying. Applications can be downloaded or completed online.
Cornell Graduate School Admissions Requirements
- Application form available at http://gradschool.cornell.edu/admissions/applying/apply-now
- Statement of purpose: A one- or two-page statement stating your reasons for undertaking graduate work, as well as an explanation of your academic interests, including their relation to your undergraduate study and professional goals.
- Unofficial transcripts from each college or university previously attended.
- Application fee: $105. In cases of extreme financial need, the Graduate School will consider a request for a fee waiver.
- Application for financial support: Application for merit-based aid - fellowships, assistantships, and tuition awards - is part of the application for admission.
Additional Program Admission Requirements
- Minimum of baccalaureate degree in engineering, mathematics, or science conferred by an accredited college or university. For students with foreign credentials, the equivalent from a college or university of recognized standing.
- The SE program expects at least differential calculus, integral calculus, linear algebra and differential equations as math undergrad requirements. For Cornell undergrads MATH 1910, 1920, 2930 or 2940, and a mathematics course chosen by the major would be required.
- GRE, however, the GRE is waived if you are eligible under your employer’s MOU with our program.
- Recommendations: Two letters of recommendation.
- Applicants must document at least one year of work experience in a relevant field to be eligible to enroll in the distance learning degree program.
- Enrollment to the distance learning program may be restricted due to one or more of the following:
- Program Capacity
- Geographic location of the prospective student
- Technical or administrative capability of the program to provide adequate service to the student
Probability and Statistics
An undergraduate course in Probability and Statistics is required to matriculate into the System Engineering program.
If not already completed at the time of admission, this requirement may be satisfied by completing ENGRD 2700 or CEE 3040 on campus at Cornell. Students may complete a similar course at another university upon approval of the Curriculum Committee. You will be required to submit a transcript as verification that this course has been completed before the end of your first semester in the program.
Deadline for Applications
Deadline to apply for Spring semester: November 15
Deadline to apply for Fall semester: May 31