On Campus Requirements
An online application for admission and financial aid for the Master of Engineering program must be completed through the Cornell University Graduate School.
The Graduate School provides an extensive application and admissions Web page with general application guidelines and requirements for each graduate field where you will find the requirements of the specific field to which you are applying. Applications can be downloaded or completed online.
Cornell Graduate School Admissions Requirements
- Application form available at http://gradschool.cornell.edu/admissions/applying/apply-now
- Statement of purpose: A one- or two-page statement stating your reasons for undertaking graduate work, as well as an explanation of your academic interests, including their relation to your undergraduate study and professional goals.
- Unofficial transcripts from each college or university previously attended.
- Application fee: $105. In cases of extreme financial need, the Graduate School will consider a request for a fee waiver.
- Application for financial support: Application for merit-based aid – fellowships, assistantships, and tuition awards – is part of the application for admission.
Additional Program Admission Requirements
- Minimum of baccalaureate degree (preferably in engineering, mathematics, or science) conferred by an accredited college or university. For students with foreign credentials, the equivalent from a college or university of recognized standing.
- The SE program expects at least differential calculus, integral calculus, linear algebra and differential equations as math undergrad requirements. For Cornell undergrads MATH 1910, 1920, 2930 or 2940, and a mathematics course chosen by the major would be required.
- Recommendations: Two letters of recommendation
Cornell undergraduates who wish to apply to the Systems Engineering program may waive the GRE requirement and one letter of recommendation.
Probability and Statistics
An undergraduate course in Probability and Statistics is required to matriculate into the System Engineering program.
If not already completed at the time of admission, this requirement may be satisfied by completing ENGRD 2700 or CEE 3040 on campus at Cornell. Students may complete a similar course at another university upon approval of the Curriculum Committee. You will be required to submit a transcript as verification that this course has been completed before the end of your first semester in the program.
Deadline for Applications
Deadline to apply for Spring semester: November 15
Deadline to apply for Fall semester: May 31
Deadline to apply to be considered for financial aid: February 1 (available to on-campus Fall applicants only)